I'm not a wine snob. I'll happily drink an $8 bottle of white without complaint unless it's awfully oaky or sickly sweet. Then I'll scrunch up my nose and wine whine until somebody refills my glass.
I also enjoy a spritzer—the usual kind, soda and wine over ice. These wine spritzers make a refreshing, alcohol and calorie-wise alternative to a regular glass of wine.
This summer my sister in law introduced me to a new way to spritz. She calls this drink "The Pink Lady." Sure, it's not as calorie friendly as its traditional spritzer sister and it *may* be a titch boozier, but it's goooooood. And the recipe is so simple it'll make your cheeks blush pink.
Why partake in a Pink Lady?
Fill a glass with ice.
Fill 3/4 with white wine.
Top with your choice of carbonated wine or vodka cooler. The kind you buy in a can. We used the Palm Bay Ruby Grapefruit and it was delightful.
Garnish with whatever fruit you have around. I recommend a sliced strawberry stolen from your child's dinner plate.
Cheers! Looking good, Pink Lady!
Here are a few things I discovered this summer—plus a campfire cocktail you're going to want to try!
1. No matter where I sit at a campfire I will be blinded by smoke within 30 seconds.
2. I can actually survive a week in the wild without wifi.
3. A leech can be removed from your foot by dosing it with a few drops of rubbing alcohol.
4. Black Flies are annoying a-holes.
5. Deer Flies are even bigger a-holes.
6. My thumb appears in a surprising amount of photos.
7. Nobody looks good in swim goggles.
8. Beach Waves look amazing on some people. I am not one of those people. #kramerfromseinfeld
9. When you're away and missing a friend, you just might find a random coffee cup with her name on it. "Hi Sharon!"
10. A hot mug of (adult) cocoa makes a campfire hotter. As in hawter. *Please note: The temperature of the campfire actually remains the same.
Make a mug of Chicken Bone Cocoa to enjoy around the campfire! Remember those Chicken Bone candies? Cinnamon on the outside, chocolate on the inside. Hot chocolate and a shot of Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey tastes just like this nostalgic candy in tasty cocktail form. Thanks for the recipe Heather!
*Warning: If you open a bottle of Fireball, you will immediately have this song stuck in your head for about 72 hours.
Pssssst... in the winter mix 2 parts Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey with 1 part eggnog to make a festive Firenog shot.
RELATED: Know what else is fun to make around the campfire? These marshmallow shooter cups!