2010 has whipped by at such a break neck speed.
It is hard to believe we are at the end of the year already.
This is my last blog for 2010. I am officially on vacation in two more days and will be returning in early January. Before I go away with my family, however, there is still one more chance to meet me at a Daniel Thompson Beauty Event. This week I will be in Ottawa on December 22nd and 23rd. You can come down and get a holiday look done by me personally or just come by and say hello. I love to meet all the Yummy Mummies wherever I am in Canada. I will be at:
200 Dalhousie Street
613 244 4333
Also on that note – to all the Yummy Mummies who have come by our events and who are now using the Daniel Thompson Beauty products I say thank you. The brand has grown this year and we are now available in 15 retail locations in 12 cities across 5 provinces and 2 states. All thanks to the wonderful women who use the brand.
2010 Year in Review
Here are some important cosmetics points I learned this year:
1. Cosmetics companies played their usual game of jockeying for market position by launching more products then ever before. It seemed like every week there was a launch of some kind. Part of this was the economy in the US but most of it was about the dominant players all trying to squeeze those few more dollars from consumers.
2. There was a major backlash from consumers against overhyped claims that resulted in a new wave of anti-cosmetic rhetoric. Of course there is a huge difference between grandiose claims and dangerous products. Most cosmetics fall in between the marketing and the scare tactics.
3. Despite all the chatter there really was no major revolution in the world of cosmetics. The basics remain true – wash the skin with soap free cleanser, moisturize, wear a sunscreen and avoid pore-clogging make up. Yes it really is as simple as that!
Have a wonderful holiday and I will be back in January with new Beauty: BUSTED! tips, tricks, reviews and busted myths!
With just 17 shopping days left until the annual gift exchange is upon us I thought I might highlight some of the best beauty gifts available this year.
With office gift exchange, neighbourhood parties, unexpected guests and yes that person who says, “Let’s not exchange gifts.” but then buys you one anyway, we all need a few items around that don’t cost too much and also make a great impact.
Here is my list of great buys for Holiday 2010 (all under $50):
1. Daisy Marc Jacobs solid perfume ($42) is both a wonderful fragrance and a lovely piece of jewellery. A great item that offers a huge value for the money.
2. Lancome Les Miniatures fragrance set ($40) these make great stocking stuffers that are more highly prized than an orange. High-end designer perfume at less than $10 per bottle.
3. Estee Lauder & Coach gift set ($39.50) technically a purchase with purchase but I love the designer bag with over $145 worth of make up.
4. Clinique Constant Comfort Body set ($29.50) while Clinique is not a great brand for skincare they do make some wonderful body care products.
5. My perennial favourite stand by – Designer Fragrance Soaps ($20-$25) – choose any high-end designer brand and ask for the soap. Chanel, Guerlain, Dior, YSL, Ralph Lauren, Thierry Mugler, Givenchy and all the other major designer brands make lovely triple milled soaps that are great products for hostess gifts, office gifts and as a stand by for that unexpected guest. These are about the cost of a good bottle of wine. Luxurious, extravagant, original and cost effective.
Happy shopping everyone!"