What's better than having a steaming hot, delicious meal ready for you and your family at the end of the day? I can't think of much, accept maybe when that meal is also nutritionist approved and kid-friendly! As a Mom of three, I depend heavily on my slow-cooker to get us through the week. The bit of prep time in the morning (or night before) is well worth the relief that I feel at about 5pm when I'm exhausted, the kids are hungry and the last thing I want to do is cook. Similarly, I love making slow cooker oatmeal for busy mornings--it's one less task to tackle, and peace of mind knowing that everyone has had a warm, nutritious breakfast.
I asked my Registered Dietitian colleagues to share their favourite slow-cooker recipes (and added in a few of my own) and they did not disappoint. Here are 16 Dietitian-approved slow cooker recipes that will keep you and your family warm and nourished this winter!
1. Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats by Sarah Remmer, RD on the Alberta Milk Blog
2. Slow Cooker Granola by Christy Brissette, RD of 80 Twenty Nutrition
3. Slow Cooker Coconut Chia Quinoa Porridge by Sarah Remmer, RD
4. Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken Recipe by Sarah Remmer, RD
5. Slow Cooker Barley and Bean Soup by Meal Makeover Moms
6. Slow Cooker Eggplant and Chickpea Stew by Jessica Cording, MS, RD
7. Slow Cooker Asian Beef Recipe by Katie Serbinski, MS RD Mom to Mom Nutrition
8. Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Verde by Jessica Beacom, RD of Real Food Dietitians
9. Crock-Pot Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps by Lisa McKay, MS RD www.nourishednce.com
10. Honey Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs by Lindsay Livingston of The Lean Green Bean
11. Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos, by Stacie Hassing, RD of Real Food Dietitians
12. Slow Cooker Loaded "Baked" Sweet Potatoes by Alexis Joseph, RD of Hummussapien
13. Butternut Squash and Kale Slow Cooker Lasagna by Kara Lydon, RD of KaraLydon.com
14. Crockpot Mexican Quinoa Chicken by Jodi Danen, RD of The Average RD
15. Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls With Low Fat Stuffing by Abbey Sharpe, RD of Abbey's Kitchen
16. Moroccan Lentil Soup in The Slow Cooker by Sarah Remmer, RD
For more dietitian-approved recipes (that are kid friendly too!), check out my Facebook page, where I share recipes, nutrition tips and videos regularly!