We love bar food, finger foods and easy appetizers. Unfortunately, those usually mean unhealthy and grease-laden. Not anymore, thanks to this recipe for Crispy Potato Skins, addictive skins baked (not fried!) to crisp perfection and mounded high with crunchy turkey bacon and melted cheese.
4 medium russet potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 turkey bacon slices, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup sour cream, for topping
1) Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Scrub potatoes, pat dry and pierce with a fork several times. Rub each potato with 1/2 tbsp olive oil and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 50-60 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from oven, allowing potatoes to cool just enough to handle comfortably.
2) Turn the oven up to 450°F.
3) Cut each potato in half lengthwise and scoop out the cooked potato leaving a 1/2-inch thick layer of potato along the sides and bottoms of the skins. Discard scooped out potato or use for mashed potatoes.
4) Brush the hollowed potato skins (inside and outside) with melted butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place potatoes skin-side-up on baking sheet and return to oven for 10 minutes. Flip the skins and bake another 8 minutes.
5) Remove from oven, sprinkle skins with crumbled turkey bacon, cheddar and Monterey Jack. Return to oven and bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve warm, topped with sour cream.
Makes 8 potato skins
For more lightened up bar food, try Bite Me More's Honey-Baked Coconut Shrimp recipe.
RELATED: The Best Asparagus You'll Ever Eat