Yummy Mummies need to eat healthy too! Especially working moms who need twice the energy to balance career and family life. Here are 5 easy tips to treat yourself at lunch, in a healthy way:
- Proteins: Make sure you have a good source of protein. It will make you last all afternoon without cravings. Refer to the Mediterranean diet chart as a reference; it is still considered one of the best.
- Fresh veggies: fresh, raw and colourful vegetables will give you more energy than anything processed.
- Sharing makes it more fun: why not plan a potluck lunch once a week with your colleagues.
- Take your lunch outside: weather permits, enjoy some light, fresh air and sunshine.
- Healthy doesn’t mean boring: be creative with what you have at home, have fun creating your lunches and make them look good and appetizing. It’s amazing what a special paper napkin can do!
Winter Salad as a Meal (pour 2-3 portions)
2 cups of short pasta, cooked ‘al dente’ according to the directions on the package - I like to use BarillaPlus pasta for their taste but also because it’s a good source of proteins, fibres and Omega-3.
1 cup of broccoli florets, blanched
½ cup of cherry tomatoes cut in 4
½ cup of chickpeas
¼ cup of black olives
¼ cup of pumpkin seeds, roasted
1 tablespoon of sage
1 tablespoon of chives
Sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, preferably white
1 teaspoon of hazelnut or walnut oil
Mix all the ingredients together and incorporate the vinaigrette. Check the seasonings and adjust to taste. For extra flavour, add some crispy bacon or prosciutto on top.
And most of all, be creative with what you have in your pantry or in the fridge and enjoy the colours of fall in your lunch box!
RELATED: Quick and Easy Salad in a Jar