Health Canada, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (US CPSC), and phil&teds® have issued a joint recall for the phil&teds® "explorerTM and "hammerheadTM Strollers due to potentially defective or damaged brakes.
The recalled strollers, both singles and doubles, are listed as follows:
- explorerTM Buggy Black EAN (9420015728262)
- explorerTM Buggy Navy EAN (9420015728255)
- explorerTM Buggy Red EAN (9420015728231)
- explorerTM Buggy Apple/Black EAN (9420015728248)
- explorerTM Buggy All Apple EAN (9420015728781)
- explorerTM Buggy Black EAN (9420015701029)
- explorerTM Buggy Navy EAN (9420015733044)
- explorerTM Buggy Red EAN (9420015701036)
- explorerTM Buggy Apple/Black EAN (9420015732177)
- explorerTM Buggy All Apple EAN (9420015733075)
- hammerheadTM Black EAN (9420015719116)
- hammerheadTM Promo EAN (9420015725612)
The affected strollers bear serial numbers: 0610/0001 to 0111/4788 (June 2010, unit #1, to January 2011, unit #4788). The "explorer"TM stroller has a label affixed to the lower rear cross bar/axle bar which states "phil&teds® ModelTM", while the "hammerhead"TM stroller has a label affixed to the lower rear cross bar/axle that states "phil&teds® Model HH".
Although no injuries have been reported, phil&teds® has received 8 reports of incidents worldwide. Consumers are advised to stop using the affected strollers and contact phil&teds® to arrange to receive an upgraded brake assembly and self install instructions free of charge.
phil&teds® will supply a replacement stroller frame (with the improved brake system) to all consumers who own the recalled strollers.
For more information in the U.S. and Canada, contact phil&teds® USA toll free at 1-855-652-9019 between 9AM and 5PM MT Monday through Friday or visit the company's website.
From August 2009 to March 2011, approximately 1,900 "explorer"TM units and 65 "hammerhead"TM units of the recalled strollers were sold at in stores and online across Canada. In the United States, around 7,400 "explorer"TM units and 160 "hammerhead"TM strollers were sold."