Summer means colourful cocktails garnished with fresh fruit and pretty paper straws. Summer also means easy entertaining. No muss, no fuss, just cool casual fun with friends and family. This is why I love these simple slushies!
There are no real recipes rules here (summer is supposed to be loosey-goosey, right?), so feel free to be creative and use whatever fruit combos you like. Or find inspiration from the flavour notes of your favourite summer wines like Woodbridge Pinot Grigio which has notes of peach and citrus so use frozen peaches to create a peach wine slushie. Or Woodbridge’s White Zinfandel's watermelon and floral notes pairing well with watermelon and black cherries.
Frozen fruit of your choice
Powdered sugar or simple syrup
1. Puree frozen fruit in a blender adding a few splashes of wine until you have a slushy texture (about the consistency of runny applesauce).
2. Add a few spoonfuls of powdered sugar or simple syrup for sweetness. If you're conscious of adding sugar to any recipe, don't skip this step or the cocktail will taste flat. The extra sweetness really brings out the flavours in the fruit and wine.
3. Pour into ice-cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag and store until you're ready to slush!
4. Add a few cubes (4-6 per drink) to your blender. Add 1/2 cup of wine and blend until slushy. Add more cubes or wine until the desired consistency is achieved. *For thicker slushies, put blended mixture into the freezer. Stir every 10-15 minutes to maintain the slushy texture.
5. Pour, garnish, and serve. Feeling fancy? Mix two flavours together to make a swirl!