Years ago, when we bought our first home, I had my heart set on buying a glass-top stove because I loved how they looked. This is clearly not a great reason to choose a major appliance and I obviously didn't do my homework, because what I didn't realize was that this type of stove is not easy to keep clean.
I grew to loathe cleaning it because I hated the smell of the not-so-eco-friendly cleaner we were "supposed" to use and I hated how the slightest spill hardened into a granite-like substance that required maximum bicep power to get it out. I vowed that the next time we moved, I would never, ever buy another glass-top again.
So not long ago when we moved again and it came time to choose our appliances, guess what I chose? A glass-top stove. Why? Because I discovered a way to clean it without having to use fumy chemicals and without having to rigorously work out my biceps. The best part? It takes just two ingredients you already have in your kitchen. Water and baking soda.
Here is my before picture. Not pretty, right?
Here is how I fix it:
1. Spray the stove-top with water.
2. Sprinkle baking soda over the entire surface. Be generous.
3. Spray with water again until all of the baking soda is wet.
4. Let it sit for about 20 minutes. During this time, if you notice any dried out spots, spray with the water (dry baking soda is not good for your stove, so it's important to keep it wet).
5. With a cleaning rag, scrub the stove top paying extra attention to the really dirty areas. Baking soda will not damage the markings or the glass, so scrub away.
6. Wipe clean with the cleaning rag, using water when needed.
7. Dry with a kitchen towel. If there are spots that weren't cleaned well, spot clean with your baking soda and water.
8. Admire the sparkle.
The more often you clean your stove this way, the easier and quicker it will be each time!
Learn how to clean your stainless steel appliances using just one natural kitchen ingredient and check out this recipe for DIY body butter that also requires just one kitchen ingredient!