The sweaters are coming out of closets and the leaves are turning crimson. The days are getting shorter and the nights are getting colder. It’s officially fall!
Summer is great because you can enjoy the outdoors all day, every day. But don’t miss out on the fun that’s still to be had. Your family can enjoy every last bit of this fresh, crisp fall weather before you’re officially locked indoors with the bitter snow whipping at your door.
Here are some fun family ideas to enjoy this perfect season:
1. Jump in piles of raked leaves. This is a right of passage for Canadian children. Except this time, join in on the fun.
2. Go geocaching. There are literally millions of geocaches hidden around the world and there are likely some close to your house. Take a day to go hunting for adventure with your family.
3. Get creative with chalk. Now would be the perfect time to draw a family Thanksgiving mural or perhaps the scariest Halloween nightscape you can imagine. Or maybe you want to make a competition out of it and the winner gets a steaming mug of hot chocolate!
4. Stay indoors when it’s too chilly to go outside and watch a family movie. Who doesn’t love to curl up beside the fireplace with a big bowl of popcorn on a cold fall night? Cozy up and introduce your children to family classics such as The Goonies or E.T.
5. Have one last outdoor picnic before it gets too cold to enjoy dining al fresco. Make sure your menu includes a big bowl of piping hot soup and pumpkin everything.
6. Spend an afternoon going apple picking. Our country is full of beautiful apple orchards. Make sure you take some time to visit one near your house. One thing is for sure, you won’t come out empty-handed.
7. Take time to go on a hay ride. Preferably one that takes you through a haunted field of goblins if you’re not too scared!
8. Attend a local fall fair. There’s a reason why these local fairs have been around for decades and if you’ve never gone, you’re missing out!
9. Get crafty. Fall is when nature shows her true beauty. Your kids will have a great time creating art with brightly coloured leaves or quirky acorns.
10. Write a letter to a faraway friend or relative. Get together with your kids one afternoon and write letters to friends or family you haven’t seen in a while. Fall brings forth a certain air of nostalgia and the same can be said about hand written letters. Together, they are the perfect combination.
11. Get outside for a family photoshoot. Hire a professional or be your own. Fall is the most gorgeous season by far and a family photoshoot is the ideal way to capture it.
12. Perfect your hot chocolate recipe. Or hot apple cider, if that’s what your family prefers. Spend a day with your kids coming up with your own twists on the season’s favourite drinks. Your taste buds will thank you.
13. Visit a pumpkin patch. Then, carve your pumpkin. Nothing prepares your house for Halloween like the iconic Jack O’Lantern. Make yours the showcase of your front porch.
14. Tell ghost stories around a campfire (or fireplace). Get in the Halloween spirit the best way possible – by scaring the crap out of each other! Even better if you include s’mores!
15. Go for a hike to view falls beautiful colours. There is nothing more beautiful than the changing leaves of autumn. They are the perfect backdrop for a family hike.
Happy Harvest Season!