Important life lesson: They can't keep you out of the club just because you have a penis.
As I sit down to write my first post for YummyMummyClub I kind of have to wonder how I'm once again writing for a website written for, about and by women. Maybe that's what happens when you grow up with three sisters and no brothers; or maybe I'm being punished for some transgression in a past life. It's kind of funny though, it's not like there are a shortage of sites out there that might have been a more natural fit. What are you thinking Martell? I mean no one likes walking into a group and being the new kid to begin with and here I am with a very clear "one of these things is not like the other" sticker on my forehead. It's sort of the equivalent of walking into football tryouts in a tutu, or showing up to your first yoga class with a zebra hide as your mat...
All kidding aside, I'm really excited to be here. YMC has so many entertaining and talented writers. It's pretty overwhelming!
So who am I and what the heck am I doing here? I love to cook and I'll be filling this space with some great food ideas, recipes, and stories about being a dad to three awesome kids (one of whom has an unhealthy obsession with Cake Boss). In the meantime though, I wanted to do something special for you all seeing as this is my initial post. Normally, if you show up at any club with a plate full of s'mores brownies, that will get you in the front door regardless of age, gender or race. So, since I can't bring you all brownies I'm going to be giving away a Cuisinart 5-in-1 Griddler to one lucky member. Just leave a comment below telling me what kind of recipes you'd like me to feature and you'll be entered to win.
While it can be used as a grill and griddle it gets the most use in our house as a panini maker. When an appliance can make food this yummy with little clean-up, it's bound to find a permanent spot on your countertop too. The recipe below is one I threw together for you all to enjoy. Come on, you like me now, right?
The YMC Panini
8 slices sourdough bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
1/4 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 yellow onion, sliced
Salt and ground pepper, to taste
1 pound roast beef deli
1 roasted red pepper, sliced
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 garlic clove, minced
4 large slices aged cheddar
1. Heat oil in a pan over Medium heat. Add sliced onion, season with salt and pepper to taste, cook down until onions begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until softened, about 3 more minutes.
2. Preheat closed panini maker on High.
3. In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise, garlic and horseradish.
4. Brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil. Lay the slices, oiled side down. Assemble sandwich by spreading 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise mix on one slice of the bread. Add roast beef, caramelized onions & mushrooms, roasted pepper and cheese, dividing evenly. Top with the other slice of bread, oiled side up.
5. Place the sandwiches on the panini maker and cook until the cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.
6. Cut and serve.
p.s. If you don't win the Cuisinart 5-in-1 Griddler, you can always purchase it at Canadian Tire.
Yummy Rules and Regs for Book Giveaway: You must be a YummyMummyClub.ca member to win. Click to sign up! It's free and filled with perks. One comment per member. Entries accepted until October 31, 2011. Contest open to Canadian residents. Winners will be picked using www.random.org.