Physicians Formula Organicwear 100% Natural Origin Tinted Moisturizer - $17.50 for 44mL
Well that is quite a mouth full for a product name. I am not really sure how that came about but I can certainly imagine a room full of marketing specialists all naming the product by committee. “Let’s make sure it is all things to all people.” or “Natural, 100%, organic, all these have to be in the name of the product.”
Despite the very descriptive name this product is certainly not as would be implied. As a matter of fact it is about as run of the mill as it can be when it comes to the actual formula.
1. SPF 15 from titanium dioxide. No chemical sunscreens to irritate the skin.
2. 7 lipid identical moisturizing agents to nourish the skin.
3. Great water binding agents to prevent surface dehydration.
1. Volatile plant extracts that can seriously irritate the skin (orange extract and lavender).
2. Talc used as a thickening agent, which will compromise the durability of the product (think frequent touch ups).
3. High concentration of denatured alcohol, which is extremely drying, disrupts the natural pH and can cause serious irritation. It negates all the great moisturizing ingredients and promotes rapid water evaporation from the skin.
Not “all natural” as the name would lead a person to think. This product contains 5 synthetic ingredients (which are perfectly fine but not natural). The amount of drying agents and irritating oils make this a product not worth buying.
Better alternative: Not less expensive but a much better formula (87% more expensive when comparing price per mL). Quo Mineral Sheer Tints ($21 for 29mL) is formulated without the drying agents and contains high potency active skincare ingredients.
Next time: Live Clean Shampoo"
MAC Cleanse Off Oil - $29 for 150mL
This all purpose cleanser is marketed as a makeup remover but it also makes for a general face cleanser. Well suited to the dry, cold Canadian winter it adds lots of moisture with out disrupting the skin’s natural pH (no toner required). The surfactant (active cleanser) is the same surfactant found in many foaming face washes and as such this product can be used with water to create a gentle foaming cleanser.
1. contains 6 skin lipid identical moisturizers so the skin will not dry out
2. free from mineral oil so it cannot clog pores
3. multi purpose as it can be used on oily skin or dry skin
4. balanced formula so no toner is required post use
1. irritating fragrance oils of lavender, orange and limonene can seriously irritate sensitive skins
2. fragrance compound is not recommended for around the eyes – this could sting and burn if it gets in the eyes
3. small size for the price – other facial cleansers at this price point can be found in much larger volumes
Slightly overpriced for the actual performance and while a good all purpose cleanser for tolerant skins it will cause irritation for more sensitive skins. While promoted to be used around the eyes I would strongly urge against this because it can cause a reaction.
Lower price alternative: Muji Cleansing Oil $15 for 200mL. (58% less expensive when comparing price per mL).
I found this in Paris and it is available in specialty shops in Canada.
Next time - Physician's Formula Natural Origin Tinted Moisturizer"