Health Canada, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (US CPSC), and phil&teds® have issued a joint recall for the phil&teds® "explorerTM and "hammerheadTM Strollers due to potentially defective or damaged brakes.
The recalled strollers, both singles and doubles, are listed as follows:
- explorerTM Buggy Black EAN (9420015728262)
- explorerTM Buggy Navy EAN (9420015728255)
- explorerTM Buggy Red EAN (9420015728231)
- explorerTM Buggy Apple/Black EAN (9420015728248)
- explorerTM Buggy All Apple EAN (9420015728781)
- explorerTM Buggy Black EAN (9420015701029)
- explorerTM Buggy Navy EAN (9420015733044)
- explorerTM Buggy Red EAN (9420015701036)
- explorerTM Buggy Apple/Black EAN (9420015732177)
- explorerTM Buggy All Apple EAN (9420015733075)
- hammerheadTM Black EAN (9420015719116)
- hammerheadTM Promo EAN (9420015725612)
The affected strollers bear serial numbers: 0610/0001 to 0111/4788 (June 2010, unit #1, to January 2011, unit #4788). The "explorer"TM stroller has a label affixed to the lower rear cross bar/axle bar which states "phil&teds® ModelTM", while the "hammerhead"TM stroller has a label affixed to the lower rear cross bar/axle that states "phil&teds® Model HH".
Although no injuries have been reported, phil&teds® has received 8 reports of incidents worldwide. Consumers are advised to stop using the affected strollers and contact phil&teds® to arrange to receive an upgraded brake assembly and self install instructions free of charge.
phil&teds® will supply a replacement stroller frame (with the improved brake system) to all consumers who own the recalled strollers.
For more information in the U.S. and Canada, contact phil&teds® USA toll free at 1-855-652-9019 between 9AM and 5PM MT Monday through Friday or visit the company's website.
From August 2009 to March 2011, approximately 1,900 "explorer"TM units and 65 "hammerhead"TM units of the recalled strollers were sold at in stores and online across Canada. In the United States, around 7,400 "explorer"TM units and 160 "hammerhead"TM strollers were sold."
For most of us, a spa day is synonymous with the ultimate in relaxation and pampering. But for a woman visiting a Quebec spa, the experience turned out to be fatal.
35-year-old Chantal Lavigne died in hospital Friday, following a detox at a spa in Durham, about 100 kilometres southeast of Montreal, in La Belle Province.
Lavigne was one of 10 people taking part in a lengthy detoxification session that involved profuse sweating and "being all wrapped in plastic with mud... and blankets". Apparently the treatment didn't include hydration.
According to Quebec provincial police spokesman, Daniel Thibodeau, the victim and another woman were rushed to hospital in nearby Drummondville; one was in critical condition while the other was vomiting frequently.
Although the other woman was reported to be in stable condition on Saturday, Lavigne died. Police are trying to establish whether the case involved negligence or criminal conduct.
Lucie Brosseau, of Alliance Spas Relais Santé, admits that Quebec spas are not regulated, and while industry standards do exist, they are not mandatory. Brosseau was adamant that individuals booking in to a spa do their research before receiving any treatment.
"One thing we want with this incident is to [get] people to go and look and ask for quality," she said. "Ask for quality therapists, ask for quality treatments."
According to its online listing, the farmhouse spa, which is run by Daiva Goulet, offers Reiki, as well as massage and natural products.
Creepily, neighbours have previously complained to police about loud screaming coming from the adjacent property.
"The screaming was odd, it gave me shivers," said neighbour Roxanne Labonté, who complained just last month to authorities about the disturbance.
While you can't really go wrong with a pedi, Yummies, be sure to do your homework. Make sure the right credentials are framed and hanging on the wall before you go climbing onto any therapist's bed. You don't want it to be your death bed.
At a time when most women are winding towards retirement, sipping chardonnay, and looking forward to grandchildren, Anthea Nicholas, a 50-year-old real estate agent in Australia's Gold Coast, fell pregnant and gave birth -- the all-natural way.
Though the odds were, biologically speaking, totally against her, Nicholas fell pregnant without resorting to in-vitro fertilization (IVF). She managed to carry to term despite a 70 per cent chance of miscarriage.
Ms. Nicholas told the August edition of the Australian Women's Weekly that she'd put her nausea down to the early effects of menopause. Who can blame her, when the chance of her being pregnant was a "one-in-several-million''? It was her husband, Peter Byrne, who tweaked that she might be expecting.
"I knew the odds for us would be horrendous,'' Nicholas admitted, claiming her first reaction to the pregnancy was overwhelming fear -- fear about the pregnancy, fear about what people would think.
But against all odds, along came Nicholas Jay, now a perfectly healthy five-week-old bouncing boy.
Gynecologist Dr. Andrew Cary claimed the birth was nothing short of "a miracle'', since Ms. Nicholas also suffered from an unspecified condition that would make pregnancy and delivery difficult for a woman of any age.
In other words, yummies, don't try this at home.