On the back of this spectacular retraction comes another birth announcement like no other. For a start, the "newborn" is 13 years-old!
Three years ago, mom and photographer Kelli Higgins and her husband were asked by a social worker if they would consider adopting Latrell and his five year-old sister Chayna. And even though Higgins was already mom to five other kids, she opened her doors - and her heart - with an emphatic, "Yes."
But it wasn't happily ever after and smooth sailing.
"We were all sitting at the dining room table talking about an upcoming newborn shoot that I had when Latrell looked sad and stated he had never had newborn photos taken of him," recalls Higgins. "My daughter Ally, who was 12 at the time, felt bad for him and jokingly said, 'why don't you do them [now]?'"
Higgins thought it was a brilliant idea. So did Latrell.
The announcement was posted to the mom's Facebook page, where it racked up more than 5,000 shares. For Higgins, taking a viral photo was about more than a sweet gesture for her new son; it was a chance to raise awareness about adopting older children, who make up the bulk of foster kids in the U.S.
It takes time to build trust and love, but it's not just babies who deserve good homes with loving parents.
Higgins sounds like a special person indeed.
Image Source: Facebook
There's an interesting commentary taking place by Polly Phillips, a woman who defends the annual "wife bonus" her husband has paid her for the past five years for staying home to raise their daughter.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has recalled Loblaw Companies Limited's President's Choice Moroccan-Style Hummus because it may contain Staphylococcus bacteria:
Brand and Product Name - Size - Code(s) on Product - UPC
Food contaminated with the Staphylococcus toxin may not look or smell spoiled, but could cause the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping and fever.
In severe cases, contamination may cause headache, muscle cramping and changes in blood pressure and pulse rate.
The CFIA testing revealed possible contamination and is ensuring that recalled products are removed from the marketplace.
There have been no reported illnesses associated with the consumption of this product.
Customers are advised not to eat the recalled product but to dispose of it immediately. Customers may contact Loblaw Companies Limited at [email protected] or 1-888-495-5111
For further information, customers and industry officials can contact the CFIA via the online feedback form.