With the season's first snowfall behind us, there's no denying it - winter weather is officially here to stay! Going anywhere with kids takes twice as long - there's lots of bundling-up and layering- before heading out the door. And when it comes school-age kids with outdoor recesses, snow days take extra planning because you want your child to enjoy the outdoors WITHOUT becoming a popsicle! Here's a checklist of 5 snow-day essentials to make sure your kids have all the gear they need to stay warm and have fun:
The Proper Way To Dress Your Kids For Winter So They'll Stay Warm Longer
1) Winter Jacket & Snow Pants: I personally prefer 3-in-1 jackets (like this one from The Children's Place) which have a removable fleece layer to cover a wide range of temperatures. For snow pants, younger kids may find overalls easier to wear while grade-schoolers may prefer pants. Whichever you choose - try find a pair with reinforced knee patches, as they can survive a lot more wear and tear! Avoid styles with fussy buckles/fastenings as they may be tricky for your child to manage on their own.
Old Navy Jackets (Girls - $32, Boys - $45), The Children's Place Snow Overalls (Girls, Boys - $41.97)
2) Scarf/Neck warmer: We're a huge fan of neck warmers in my house - they easily slide over your head without any dangling ends to worry about. Bonus - they're easy to pull up over your nose for extra-warmth when it's super-chilly outside!
Gymboree Scarves (Girls & Boys - $9.48), L.L. Bean Fleece Neck Warmer - $14.95)
Give Old Man Winter A Beating With These Cute and Warm Accessories For Moms
3) Gloves & Mitten Clips: To keep hands toasty, look for gloves with waterproof material and insulated lining. I've previously purchased mittens for my kids - but this year they've requested gloves so that they can use all their fingers while playing. The mitten clips are a life-saver...my kids have had theirs for 3 years now, and (knock wood) they have not lost a single pair of gloves since they got them! I've found these online at Amazon, but we purchased ours in store at Sporting Life.
The Children's Place Cold Weather Gloves - $11.97, Amazon Glove & Mitten Clips - $15.99
4) Hats: I'm going to keep buying my kids animal themed hats as long as they keep wearing them - they are just so adorable! No matter what style I pick, I always try to find hats with extra long flaps to make sure my kids' ears are covered at all times.
The Children's Place Penguin Hat and Stripe Monster Hat - $8.97, Old Navy Aqua Hat - $10, Raindrops Reversible Knit Hat - $25
5) Snow boots: This is our second year using BOGS - and they are amazing. Not only are they easy to put on and take off, they cover a wide range of temperatures (up to -30 degrees F) and are SO easy to clean and dry. Since they're designed to be worn through different seasons, I no longer have to keep stocking up on different sizes of rain boots and snow boots - definitely worth the initial investment!
Bogs Insulated Boots - $90
Now your kids are ready for the snow... watch out - there's probably a snowball headed your way!
Please share your snowy-day outfit tips below - did I miss out on any essentials?
For more school related shopping tips, check out my posts on the top 5 best backpacks and different lunchbox options for school.
I love getting dressed up and wearing makeup - and I've never grown out of the excitement of giving makeovers. At family parties you'll find me applying makeup on my aunts, cousins... pretty much anyone who'll let me get near them with a blush brush!
Makeup For Beginners: The Five Products You Need To Achieve The "No Makeup" Look
Although I love learning the latest makeup techniques, I'm not a makeup artist AT ALL. I'm just someone who likes learning and sharing easy tricks and tweaks to looking glam.
In the video below, I'll be featuring a quick and easy makeup tutorial to get you holiday party ready - hope you find it helpful!
Some notes before you click "PLAY:"
- My friend Shaile was a DOLL to let me film her for this video
- I am in awe of YouTube makeup artists - it's REALLY tricky to apply makeup on somebody while trying to capture everything on film! I hope I was able to get the general techniques across, but in real life, I'd probably spend a lot more time patting and blending everything in.
- Don't be alarmed by the brightness of the highlighting concealer. It's a celeb-favoured technique that enhances your facial structure and brings a glow to the face (à la Jennifer Lopez). While it may look conspicuous at first, it will look more natural by the time the bronzer and blush are applied.
If you want to recreate this look at home - you're in luck! One YMC reader will win a Target gift package (retail value $160) containing all the makeup used in the tutorial including:
1) Sonia Kashuk Undetectable Foundation Stick $10.99
2) Pixi Correction Concentrate in Brightening Peach $15.00
3) Pixi Concealing Concentrate in Adaptable Beige $10.00
4) Pixi Ultimate Beauty Kit in Cool and Warm $34.00
5) Sonia Kashuk Liquid Line Precision Marker in Black $8.99
6) Sonia Kashuk Lashify Mascara Black Regular $6.99
7) Sonia Kashuk Ultra Luxe Lip Gloss (Fairest Flush) $8.99
8) Sonia Kashuk All That Jazz 10-Piece Brush Set $34.99
9) Sonia Kashuk Weekender Bag $29.99
To enter this giveaway, all you have to do is leave a comment below and tell me **Which Target gift package product you're most excited to try.**
Yummy Rules and Regs: You must be a YummyMummyClub.ca member to win. Click to sign up! It's free and filled with perks. One comment per member. Be sure you've registered your email address in our commenting system so we can contact you if you win. Entries accepted until **December 15, 2014.** Contest open to Canadian residents (excluding Quebec). Winners will be picked using www.random.org. See full contest rules.
More time-saving beauty tips: What to do if you don't have time for a manicure and How to use deep conditioning masks to repair your hair.
And we're giving away **DESCRIPTION OF PRIZE(S**)! To enter, all you have to do is leave a comment below and tell me **YOUR QUESTION YOU WANT READER TO ANSWER**. You have until **DATE, 2012** to enter. You must be a YMC member and please be sure you've registered your email address in our commenting system so we can contact you if you win.
Yummy Rules and Regs: You must be a YummyMummyClub.ca member to win. Click to sign up! It's free and filled with perks. One comment per member. Entries accepted until **END DATE, 2012**. Contest open to Canadian residents (excluding Quebec). Winners will be picked using www.random.org. See full contest rules.- See more at: http://www.yummymummyclub.ca/blogger-giveaway-standard-copy#sthash.wPRRXJTS.dpuf
What’s better than treating yourself to luxe beauty products? How about pampering yourself with quality skincare while ALSO providing financial assistance to women fighting Breast Cancer?
By purchasing from the Causemetics line, you'll be donating money to the Canadian Breast Cancer Support Fund.
With October being Breast Cancer Awareness month, there were a lot of products focused on fundraising for a cure. A portion of proceeds from their sale went towards research into treating/preventing Breast Cancer. While this is SO important and worthwhile, sadly – it is not enough for women who are currently undergoing treatment for Breast Cancer. Many are in need of financial support too.
Friends' Surprise Show Of Support For Woman With Cancer
This is where the Canadian Breast Cancer Support Fund (CBCSF) can help - it provides short term financial assistance to women fighting Breast Cancer. Donna Sheehan (Breast Cancer survivor) created CBCSF after realizing that “In my seven years of work providing psychosocial support to those affected by breast cancer, it became very clear that the financial cost was often more stressful than the diagnosis and treatment.”
Causemetics is a line of skincare and cosmetics products created through a collaboration of 11 Canadian companies (Consonant Skincare, Lovefresh, Pure+Simple, Schaf, Graydon, Ella’s, Cocoon Apothecary, Sappho Cosmetics, Evoke, Sigrid, and Province Apothecary).
Here is where the dual purpose comes in - not only does a portion of each product sold go directly to CBCSF ($4 to $10 as marked on the package), the products featured are all-natural and non-toxic. As Sheehan states “Prevention is a key mandate and we believe minimizing exposure to harmful toxins is part of the solution, so working with cosmetics industry partners who create natural products is perfectly in alignment.”
Organic and Natural Deodorants: How To Find One That Works
Bill Baker, founder of Consonant Skincare explains: "We’re all Canadian companies dedicated to products that people can use with confidence knowing they’re not exposing themselves to harmful chemicals. For consumers, supporting the CBCSF is now as easy as buying their favourite products.”
Bottom line: Not only are you helping those who are fighting Breast Cancer, you are also pampering yourself with high-quality products that are good for you!
If you would like to explore the 11 Causemetics products, click here. As an oil-cleanser enthusiast, I like the sound of the Moisturizing Cleanser - it uses Jojoba oil to clear congestion and heal blemishes. I'm also intrigued by the Natural Deodorant and the 100% Botanical Perfume. And with winter dryness causing skin irritations for my whole family - I think we could all use some Warrior Woman Skin Healing Salve. Love the name and ingredients - it's formulated with Olive Oil and locally sourced beeswax!
Our Frenzied Fashionista Ashley also has some exciting news about Yoga wear for post-mastectomy women. The "I Kare" Yoga Wear helps outfit women who have have breast cancer with fashionable, fun, and functional clothing for their workouts.