With the Victoria Day long weekend behind us, cottage season has officially begun! We can look forward to barbecues, picnics, and days at the beach...it almost makes up for our never-ending winter. Stores have set out their summer merchandise—it's a great time to stock up on warm weather staples. Look through your current summer gear and check if you need to purchase any of these pieces.
1. Printed Tankini Set, $23 (sale), Old Navy
2. Kimono-Sleeve Cover-Up, $22.94, Old Navy
3. One-Shoulder Swimsuit, $90.91, LOFT
4. V-Neck Tunic, $48 (sale), J.Crew Factory
1. Merona Sequin Tote, $24.99, Target
2. Stripe Flip-Flops, $12, Joe Fresh
3. Colorblock Straw Tote, $49.95, GAP
4. Braided Flip-Flops, $14 (sale), J.Crew Factory
1. Mirror Aviators, $6.80, Forever21
2. Straw Sun-hat, $9, Joe Fresh
3. Oversized Sunglasses, $12, Smart Set
4. Straw Fedora, $15.80, Forever21
I like purchasing my summer pieces at the beginning of the season, because the selection is better AND stores often have great promo codes (especially love the 30-40% discounts at Old Navy/GAP/Banana Republic). From this list, I've already purchased the blue mirrored aviators, and I have my eye on the blue & white trim tunic.
Which of these summer essentials will you stock up on?
Don't forget to stop by JACOB while you're out shopping—they'll be gone soon!
There were gasps of disbelief at Yummy Mummy headquarters when news of JACOB's closure came to light. Meatless Mummy Con Carne, Nicole Macpherson wondered "Where will I get my myriad black sweaters from if not there?" Mummy Buzz declared that she could only leave "the house in a paper bag now" while copy editor Adina Moss simply wailed "What???? Noooooooo!"
Sad but true, after 35 years of operation, JACOB has filed for bankruptcy and will be liquidating inventory in their 92 stores across Canada. The privately owned family company founded by Joey Basmaji in the seventies began its Canada-wide expansion in the mid-eighties. However, financial troubles surfaced in 2008 as international competitors and a sluggish economy resulted in JACOB closing 52 of its stores. By 2010, JACOB had to place itself under creditor protection and undergo operational restructuring.
Unfortunately, despite their best efforts, JACOB was not able to return to profitability, and on May 6, 2014, president Joey Basmaji issued a press release stating "Although we did not achieve the desired result, I am proud of the passion and dedication that the Jacob team showcased over these past few years while trying to bring the company back to financial health...I would like to sincerely thank each employee and business partner that contributed to our success during these 35 wonderful years. I hope that the remaining Canadian retailers will get through these difficult economic times."
Where does that leave us as consumers? Hopefully we'll be able to stock up during the liquidation sales — but who should we turn to for our future clothing needs? Try checking out LOFT, White House Black Market, Banana Republic, and Club Monaco. While they may never fully replace JACOB in our hearts, they can keep us well-dressed as we learn to love again.
Where will you be shopping now that JACOB is closing down?
Still searching for the perfect Mother's Day gift? Look no further!
Read about how this store has successfully stepped up its strategy.
Whether you'll be giving or receiving (or both!) this Mother's Day, you don't have to spend a lot to gift something truly beautiful.
Here are my top 5 Mother's Day gift picks from easily accessible stores. They will leave Mom feeling cherished — and you'll have enough left over for a special meal together too!
1. INDIGO - I've been a fan of the Emily Tote ever since I spotted it at the Indigo Preview. It looks and feels luxurious, yet is a bargain at $39.50! Pair it with a Monogram Ceramic Travel Mug ($9) and you have the perfect way for Mom to start the day...a bag roomy enough to hold all her essentials and a hot drink to keep her going!
2. LOFT - Add some sparkle to Mom's wrist with this Pink Stone Leather Bracelet ($22.38). Very feminine and pretty, with delicate workmanship.
3. THE BODY SHOP - The Shea Shower, Scrub & Soften Collection ($25) has everything Mom needs to pamper her skin after this long winter - nourishing scrubs, creams and butters all packaged up in an adorable heart-shaped box!
4. BANANA REPUBLIC - If Mom prefers gold tones, pick this Pave Bar Bracelet ($50). With 12K gold plating, this bracelet will provide a discreet touch of shimmer. I've always found Banana Republic jewelry to be worth their price tag — the items are very well made and keep their luster over time.
5. TARGET - Think picnics in the park and walks on the beach with this gorgeous gift. Pick up a Merona Gold Sequin Tote ($24.99), place these sleek Lianne Flip Flops ($12.99) inside, and Mom's ready for a fun day out!
Of course you can always mix and match these pieces according to the recipient's taste and your personal budget...our mothers will be SO proud of our shopping savvy! And no matter what, be sure to lavish the mothers in your life with the most valuable gift you could give...your time!
Which of these gifts would you like to receive?
For more gift-giving ideas — check out these pink and red pretties!
P.S. Have you heard of the Shoebox Project? They collect and donate shoeboxes filled with little luxuries to women in shelters all across Canada — read about them here. Help make Mothers Day special for others too — please consider dropping off a shoebox! For information about local shelters — click here. And if you're based in the GTA, you can drop off donations at the BRIKA store!