When you think of Bond, James Bond what comes to mind? Shaken not stirred? Fast paced adrenaline and luxury cars? Glamorous locations and beautiful women? Intrigue and suspense? Evil villains and cool gadgets? Whatever combination you can imagine, there's no doubt Bond is the quintessential spy hero.
Fans of Agent 007 will be thrilled to discover the new Bond story Carte Blanche will be speeding its way to the book shelves on June 14th. Ian Fleming wrote an impressive number of James Bond books. The Ian Fleming estate, (Ian Fleming Publications Ltd.) commissioned bestselling thriller writer Jeffery Deaver (The Bone Collector) to write the latest 007 book Carte Blanche. Deaver credits Fleming as an early influence on his own writing career and jumped at the chance to write the newest installment to the Bond series.
In Carte Blanche, James Bond is a veteran of the Afghan war and becomes a member of a post 9/11 elite organization that operates independent of the Ministry of Defence. Headquarters gleans information about a planned attack so Agent 007 is called to action once again, but this time he's been given carte blanche to do whatever it takes to fulfill his mission to protect the Realm. The modern-day secret agent travels to Dubai which is the first time the United Arab Emirates has been featured in a James Bond novel.
To celebrate the release of Carte Blanche, Simon & Schuster Canada will be holding a special event with author Jeffery Deaver. This special Jeffery Deaver event will be held on June 16th, 7:00 - 9:00pm at INDIGO MANULIFE, 55 Bloor Street W. Toronto, Ontario. For more information check out the Meet Jeffery Deaver Event on Facebook for more details. Just think, you could meet Deaver, Jeffery Deaver!
YUMMY MUMMY BOOK CLUB
The Yummy Mummy Book Club will be having a "Carte Blanche" Twitter party chat on Wednesday, July 13th, from 9:30 - 11:00 pm EDT. If you want to join the chat then enter the book giveaway below or pick up a copy of "Carte Blanche" and join our virtual book club chat using the hashtag #CarteBlanche!
BOOKALICIOUS BOOK GRAB GIVEAWAY
Simon & Schuster Canada has copies of Carte Blanche, The New James Bond Novel by Jeffery Deaver to give away to 2 lucky Bookalicious readers who leave a comment about their favourite Bond memory.
Yummy Rules and Regulations:
You must be a Yummy Mummy Club member to win. Click to sign up! It's free and filled with perks. One comment per member. Entries accepted until June 16, 2011. Contest open to Canadian residents. Winners will be picked using www.random.org.
Wanda Lynne Young
This blog is proudly sponsored by our friends at Simon & Schuster Canada
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
- "Beautiful Boy" by John Lennon
We grow up visualizing the happily ever after picture in our mind with the perfect partner and relationship, healthy and happy children, beautiful home, fulfilling career, etc. but the real truth is that life is unpredictable. At any given time anyone of us may experience a tragedy that will lead to a crisis situation. The real challenge then becomes how to deal with the setbacks so they don't defeat us as a person or a family unit. I know this reality all too well as the parent to a child with autism, but this particular blog post is not about me or my family. Let me introduce you to Linda and Tony Cole.
When Linda and Tony set out on their life together their hopes and expectations were no different than many other couples wishing for health, happiness, and prosperity. They also had dreams and plans for their son Anthony. As fate might have it, everything changed one day when their 12-year old son collapsed on the school playground. Anthony suffered a heart attack that left him with brain damage. This is where the Coles' life as they knew it changed forever.
In their book Resurrecting Anthony: A True Story of Courage and Destination the Coles share their struggles and successes dealing with a "medically complicated child". The Coles believe that it takes courage and commitment to keep a family unit together when the trend is for most couples to crumble under the pressure. The Coles feel there is value in sharing their story to help other families adapt to their new reality and eventually accept a new way of life.
The Coles have a couple of lists to share that suggest helpful coping strategies when dealing with family issues and services in the community.
TEN COPING STRATEGIES FOR CRISIS
By Linda Cole, author of Resurrecting Anthony: A True Story of Courage and Destination
1. Recruit and accept help and emotional support through family and friends. Do not try to weather the crisis alone.
2. Confide in your primary physician.
3. Be positive. Be proactive. Your attitude will contribute greatly to the outcome. Educate yourself and be involved as much as possible.
4. Recognize that “This too shall pass.” You will have a “normal” life again, although it may never be as it was.
5. Find your mental “get-away” for particularly traumatic moments. Example: Envision yourself floating on calm water. Block out all distractions and center yourself.
6. Focus on others. Do not internalize. Who else needs your help during this crisis? How can you help those around you?
7. Stay busy. This is a bad time to be idle. Don’t sit home alone.
8. Exercise regularly. Walk, run, bicycle thirty minutes every other day. The endorphins released will help you mentally and emotionally. Your sleep will improve. Your body will be stronger and you will feel more in control.
9. Sleep. Get a good night’s sleep. Your body and brain need the recuperation times. If you are exhausted, you will be less effective at a critical time.
10. Eat well. Eat well-balanced meals, lots of fruits and vegetables, good proteins and complex carbohydrates. Your body and mind are in a state of hyper-stress. They need useful nutrients, not chemicals, processes and additives that sap your strength.
Finally, you will have moments that you can’t avoid. Find a place, mine was in the closet, where you can really cry. Let it come. But set a limit, perhaps 4-5 minutes. Afterward move on. Do not dwell.
GUIDELINES FOR PRODUCTIVE RELATIONSHIPS WITH INSURANCE COMPANIES, HOSPITALS, SCHOOLS AND GOVERNMENT AGENCIES
1. Try to work with the doctors, nurses, therapists, teachers, social workers and case managers with a “team” type of mentality– use “we” instead of “you” or “I.” Offer to help whenever possible. Be polite and positive.
2. Listen carefully. Don’t be afraid to ask the tough questions or for clarification when you don’t understand something.
3. Take notes during all your phone interviews and meetings. You will then be able to reference important names, phone numbers and dates at a later time.
4. If possible, use email when communicating, in person is not practical. Copy yourself. This allows you to keep a “paper” trail. Email is also a good tool for summarizing a meeting, listing action steps and noting who is responsible for doing what and when. The “Reply to All” option is an excellent way to keep a team informed and up to date.
5. Be persistent. Follow up regularly to ensure your case is moving forward. If, as is sometimes the case, by the 3rd call you still have not gotten an answer, start counting. “Hello, this is my 3rd call, and I’m sure you must be busy but…” This technique works great as a gentle reminder and often gets results.
6. Be appreciative of the efforts these people make on your behalf. They are often over-worked and underpaid. Thank them regularly.
7. Try to be as actively involved as you can in your loved one’s therapy and patient care.
8. Look for any ways you can break up the routine or incorporate fun into these tasks – everyone’s morale can suffer from boredom and can benefit from a change in routine, no matter how small.
9. Regularly ask the advice of hospital and school personnel - your loved one will benefit greatly if you can tap into the experience and knowledge they have to offer.
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
Linda Cole is the founder of Alexandra Publishing. Linda's goal is to share the 'Personal Courage Series' of stories with those who are enduring difficult times.
Tony Cole is the founder and CEO of Anthony Cole Training Group. As a keynote speaker Tony uses "Resurrecting Anthony" as a basis for his inspiring 'Ignite the Fire Within' speeches.
BOOKALICIOUS BOOK GRAB GIVEAWAY
Alexandra Publishing is offering copies of Resurrecting Anthony for 2 lucky Bookalicious readers who leave a comment below sharing a story of personal courage.
Yummy Rules and Regs: You must be a Yummy Mummy Club member to win. Click to sign up! It's free and filled with perks. One comment per member. Entries accepted until May 30th, 2011. The Resurrecting Anthony contest is open only to residents of the continental US. Winners will be picked using www.random.org. Good luck!
Wanda Lynne Young"
Just for something different I wanted to share a young reader's p.o.v. and what better way than to give an eager tween turning teen reader a couple of YA novels and see what she has to say. The books are Rotten Apple and Apple's Angst by Rebecca Eckler and the guest blogger is Alex W.
Rotten Apple introduces us to 16-year-old Apple, daughter of the very famous TV personality, psychologist Dr. Bee Bee Berg, the “Queen of Hearts”. Apple seems to have the life we all dream of, wonderful friends, money, and (sigh) a crush on her friend, Zen. Apple is the complete opposite of her mom (her nickname is the “sponge”), because she takes it all in and doesn’t let anyone know how she feels. Apple doesn’t tell anyone about her crush, especially Happy, her BFF.
In the beginning everything is normal, then her hot crush Zen returns after being away in Australia and things change drastically; he now harbours a crush on Happy – and Apple loses her cool. She initiates Plan Z to get Zen to like her. When this fails, she turns to more drastic measures - like hacking her mom’s computer and giving out bad advice. Unfortunately, all the lies and manipulation get her into a load of trouble. Happy, upset with Apple and her antics seeks vengeance and goes on “The Queen Of Hearts” to tell the world what Apple has done.
Apple starts to realize she made some bad decisions; she starts to understand why she did it and what she could have done to handle it better. In the end, she realizes that family and friends are too important to lose. In order to keep what happened from happening again, she needs to open up to people and express her feelings.
Apple's Angst has what every teenage girl will love: boys (like a secret crush on her best friend's bf), a co-worker with a grudge (who suddenly turns suspiciously nice), and of course, drama.
When Apple finds herself in the spotlight, it changes her into a new more confident Apple. Even though she likes the new Apple, will she realize that her friends don’t agree with her? Will she be able to save herself from all the angst?
Apple is a character that we can relate to; she is intriguing yet still seems very real. She goes through the ups and downs of friendships and relationships, especially when Apple needs a dose of reality.
I found myself envying Apple throughout this book because she seemed to have everything that we all want: a perfect life, popularity, and money. But my envy quickly changed to sympathy when her world came crashing down.
Rebecca Eckler very intricately weaves the story of Apple, the new fashion magazine intern, throughout her adventures and misadventures in the spotlight. Can’t wait for the next book!
ABOUT THE BLOGGER
Alex is a 12 year old hip tween who is into her dog, reading, skiing, music, art and writing. She would like to be a writer, design clothes and become a vet in the future. Check out her blog Style For Less Teen.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
BOOKALICIOUS BOOK GRAB GIVEAWAY
I have a Rotten Apple/Apple Angst prize pack to give away to one (1) lucky Bookalicious reader courtesy of Random House Canada. To enter the giveaway leave a comment telling us why you would like to read these books.
Yummy Rules and Regulations:
You must be a Yummy Mummy Club member to win. Click to sign up! It's free and filled with perks. One comment per member. Entries accepted until Monday, May 23, 2011. Contest open to Canadian residents. Winners will be picked using www.random.org.