Nov 5 2011

I'm With Stupid

Parents Don't Know Anything

by: Sharon DeVellis

This past weekend Son No. 1 had his first speed skating meet of the year. First, I'm going to preface this by saying he didn't sleep well the night before and had to be up at 6:00 to be at the rink for 7:30 a.m.  Second, it's a really long day at a speed skating meet. We were there from 7:30 until 5:00 and he skated four races. It's adrenaline rush followed by sitting and waiting.  

I'm not making excuses but these were definitely factors in what ensued.

Are you getting the picture that this isn't going to a good place?

Sep 28 2011

Teaching Kids Persistence

How Do You Do It?

by: Sharon DeVellis

I am so completely frustrated.

Son No. 1 is brilliant, funny, engaging and just an all-round good kid.

He also gives up too easily.

Jan 30 2011

Sacrificing My Speed Skating

Do I Or Don't I?

by: Sharon DeVellis

I need your help internety people, it seems I have a bit of a conundrum.

Last week I wrote about my new found love of speed skating and how I was going to sign up to give it a go.  Well it appears that Son No. 1 doesn’t want me to. 

Jan 19 2011

Speed Skating

I Wanna Try!

by: Sharon DeVellis

So death skating has sort of grown on me. I mean, I’m still worried that Son No. 1 is going to have some sort of horrible fall, smashing into the mats and breaking every bone in his body while razar sharp ginzu knives whiz past him at break neck speed and he’ll become the number hit when you google “freak speed skating accidents”.

But, you know, other than that.

The Face, The Voice, The Blog!

Sharon is a Common Sense Parent which is somewhere in between being free-range and helicopter. She believes in being active as a family and eating well 85% of the time. The other 15% is for the days when she's PMSing and then all bets are off. So far her parenting style has worked wonders for her two boys who astound her on a daily basis but that's not to say she doesn't have time to totally screw it up. She can't teach you how to keep your house clean while balancing a job and motherhood but if you're a mom who's struggling to figure it out, you've found your tribe.

You can follow Sharon on Twitter: @SharonDV

You can also visit her at: Speed Skating Mom: On The Slow Track To Becoming Fast

Subscribe to Sharon DeVellis's RSS feed

View Sharon DeVellis's Profile

YMC Recently Spilled!

Jazz says...

  ...Two words: RUM EXTRACT. You will have made THE best Rice Krispies squares EVER. About: The Best Rice Krispies Squares You'll Ever Make! Join the conversation...