If you search this blog for the word "chickpeas" you will get a lot of results. It's no secret how much I love chickpeas; I'm always experimenting with them and writing about them and making big heart eye emojis at them. They're so versatile, inexpensive, and easy to store - not to mention that they are high in fibre, protein, and iron. Plus, they're shaped like little butts. What could be better?
My very favourite way to eat them is oven-roasted, but this past summer I didn't feel like turning on the oven much. What's a crispy chickpea-loving girl to do?
Answer: pan-fry them.
It's true, pan-frying will result in crispy, delicious chickpeas in a flash. You can dress them up with different spices and flavours, you can add them to salads or pastas. It's a quick way to add protein to your meal; plus these crispy chickpeas make a very satisfying snack.
Sure, summer might be over but my appetite for quick, crispy chickpeas remains constant.
Crispy Pan-Fried Chickpeas
1-19 ounce can chickpeas
4 teaspoons olive oil
Cracked black pepper
Spices of your choosing
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. (Idea: save the liquid from the chickpeas, make these adorable meringue ghosts!)
- For best results, place rinsed and drained chickpeas on a kitchen towel and allow to dry for 1-2 hours. This is optional if you are pressed for time, but it does result in crispier chickpeas.
- In a heavy frying pan, heat oil over medium. Swirl oil so it covers the surface of the pan. Add the chickpeas in a single layer and sprinkle with salt. Let them sit, undisturbed, for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir chickpeas and fry, stirring every few minutes, until they are crispy and browned. This will take 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with pepper and - if you wish - any other spice of your choosing. Some tasty ideas are garlic powder, cumin, or chili powder. Add nutritional yeast for a cheesy-tasting treat.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy with salads, pasta, or all by themselves - but beware, they are addictive.
Try adding these babies to my Energy Bowl: Quinoa With Roasted Vegetables, or my All Kale Caesar.
IMAGE SOURCE: LAURIPATTERSON VIA GETTY IMAGES