Dorel Distribution Canada and Transport Canada have noted non-compliance in crash testing of various car seats, in which the the shell cracked when in a rear-facing position.
Such cracking could result in the seat back exceeding the permitted angle of recline during a crash, increasing the amount of impact. The following models are affected:
- 22410CAUA Safety 1st Enspira 65 (shown in the image above)
- 22742CLKW Eddie Bauer Enspira 65
- 22660CTRN Safety 1st Guide 65
- 22660CZIG Safety 1st Guide 65
- 22701CAPH Eddie Bauer XRS 65
- 22761CAGS Safety 1st Cruise Air 65
- 22762CAZX Safety 1st Cruise Air LX 65
- 22762CAUC Safety 1st Cruise Air LX 65
In the Enspira 65 model, such cracking could expose sharp edges, which in turn could pose an injury to a child or caregiver.
Dorel Distribution Canada will notify all registered owners of the above seats, providing instructions on how to obtain a free shell repair kit. For further information, customers should Dorel’s dedicated Toll free Customer Service Hotline at 1-(877)-416-9335, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST or email or Fax 1-800-207-8182 to obtain their free shell repair kit.
Customers affected by the recall are strongly advised to obtain the repair kit as soon as possible, in order to ensure compliance and safety in the event of a collision.
From February 2nd, 2012 to November 8th, 2012, 26,558 car seats were sold in Canada.