Here are the tracks that I downloaded...and yes in case you are wondering, I refuse to do a running total of how much I've spent on songs...iTunes Canada sponsor my damn blog already!
But I digress.
2010 you were a great year musically speaking...can't wait for 2011.
And now a walk down 2010's musical memory lane...enjoy the music.
Once again this year I reached out to publicists, DJs, writers, journalists and radio types to find out what albums and tracks stood out for them as we close the musical books on 2010.
***Dayna Bourgoin: 604 Records Artist Management
1. Marianas Trench “Good To You” - I’m a little biased as I work for them...but such a great duet with Ottawa singer Jessica Lee.
2. Katy Perry “Firework” - Positive, upbeat, feel-good song you can sing to the top of your lungs to.
3. Pink "Raise Your Glass" (see above)
4. Taylor Swift "Dear John" - Best song on the new record. Smart lyrics. (and I still love John Mayer regardless)
5. The Heartbroken "Tonight Tonight" - Lead singer Damhnait Doyle on this soulful, alt-country record. Favourite tracks are Save Yourself and The Truth.
***Brad MacLauchlan: K-Rock 100.5 (Morning Host & Music Director/NewCap Radio)
Top 5 albums (it is tough to recall what came out this year) Hmm let's see...
1. Drive-By Truckers- The Big To Do
2. The Hold Steady - Heaven is Whenever
3. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
4. Black Keys - Brothers
5. Possibly Gaslight Anthem - American Slang, Broken Social Scene - Rock Forgivness Record. I want to pick up the Fistful of Mercy album before I really commit to this.
Working in CHR has made me appreciate 'pop' in a different way. Here are my top 5 CHR songs:
1. Katy Perry - California Gurls
2. Usher - OMG
3. Adam Lambert - What Do You Want From Me? (felt like being gramatically correct on the song title)
Toss up for #1, Cee Lo - F You and Eminem/Rihanna - Love the Way You Lie (One is like a modern Al Green, the other is like a hip hop Johnny Cash. How do I choose between that?)
***Neil Morton: 2: The Source for Couples Editor-in-Chief/Associate Publisher /Twitter: @neilmorton
1. Album: Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
2. Album: Arkells - Jackson Square
3. Song: Gord Downie -- "The East Wind"
4. Song: Kings of Leon -- "Radioactive"
5. Song: Cee Lo Green -- "F*** You"
***Chelsea Miller: Evening Announcer/LiVE 88.5 fm / Twitter: @ChelseaMiller
1. Edward Sharp & the Magnetic Zero - Home
2. Florence & the Machine - Kiss with a Fist or Dog Days AreOver
3. Kings of Leon - Radioactive
4. Mumford & Sons - The Cave or Little Lion Man
5. Linkin Park - The Catalist
***Erikson Herman: The Truth Music Group
Biggest Single of 2010 (Rap): Rick Ross- BMF (Blowin Money Fast) or anything that Drake touched (BMF owned the summer in NY)
Album of the Year: Rap/Pop Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Best Song: Every song is the best..."Lost in the World" if you have to choose)
Indie: Yukon Blonde - Yukon Blonde (Best Song: Brides Song)
Three Free Mixtapes You Should Own That Came Out in 2010:
Major Lazer & La Roux Presents LazerProof
FREE Download (must supply e-mail address): http://sub.maddecent.com/lazerproof/
JD Era - TH1RT3EN (Mixtape)
FREE Download (no requirements): http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2010/02/24/jd-era-th1rt3en-mixtape/
Jim Jones - The Ghost of Rich Porter (Mixtape)
FREE Download (no requirements): http://www.datpiff.com/Diplomat_Records_Jim_Jones_The_Ghost_Of_Rich_Port.m107534.html
Albums that came out in LATE 2009 that made up the soundtrack of 2010:
Miike Snow - Miike Snow
*This came out in Sept 2009 but still remains arguably the best record of 2010. Every track is amazing.
Blakroc - Blakroc
*This came out in November 2009; Black Keys x rappers = good music
Tracks to start off 2011:
The Dears - Omega Dog
Cold War Kids - Louder Than Love
***Keith Burnage: Cadence Revolution
Here are our 5 fave free downloads from our site (they cover a range from 80's band, alt rock to dance)
1. The Mohawk Lodge - A Crime Of Passion
2. Ping Trace - We Are Human (Håkan Lidbo Radio Edit)
3. Modern English - It's Okay
4. Produce Game - Had A Vision (feat Sol from Forensic)
5. DJ's House Connection - Stand up (Guitarless Extended)
***Mauler: Morning Show Host 'The Morning Hot Tub' on Hot 89.9
Favorite CDs I got in 2010:
Kings of Leon - Come Around Sundown
Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
Bruno Mars - Doo-Wops & Hooligans
Mt. Desolation - Mt. Desolation
Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More
Top 5 Songs:
I Like It - Enrique Iglesias with Pitbull
Ryan Star - Breathe
Katy Perry - Firework
Hot Chelle Rae - Bleed
Armchair Cynics - Can't Sleep
Honourable mention: Lots of 'Glee' songs (FYI I will never admit to liking this publicly)
***DJ Spin, Washington, DC
In no particular order...
1. Katy Perry - "Firework"
2. Far East Movement - "Like A G6"
3. Stefy De Cicco ft. Revelay Project - "I Wanna Walk" (Classic Ibiza Mix)
4. Deadmau5 ft. Kaskade - "Move For Me" (Disco Reason Mix)
5. Ginuwine ft. Timbaland & Missy - "Get Involved" (Masters of South Mix)
***Jordan: VanMusic Independent Music Scene
Here are six of my favorite independent bands from Vancouver:
1. Sex With Strangers
3. The Pack A.D.
4. John Pippus
6. Hey Ocean!
***CynthiaK from MapleMixtape
Here are my top 5 singles from 2010...and all Canadian!
1. Ash Koley - Don't Let Your Feet Touch Ground
2. New Pornographers - Crash Years
3. Young Galaxy - Cover Your Tracks
4. City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
5. Dragonette - Easy (Fabian Remix)
Top Songs of 2010
1. Forget You--Cee Lo
2. What's My Name--Rihanna Feat. Drake
3. I Got A Feeling--Black Eyed Peas
4. Imagine--John Lennon
5. What's Going On--Marvin Gaye
Here are my picks for Top 5 Songs of the Year:
Florence + the Machine - Cosmic Love
Perfume Genius - Learning
Freak Owls - Optimistic Automatic
Royksopp - The Drug
Booka Shade - Regenerate
Received a message from my music loving friend Laura a few weeks ago...
Have you heard of her/this song? Great for a workout mix. Thought you might like it.
Born in Geneva, Switzerland, Katerina Graham stepped into the entertainment industry at the ripe age of six. From then until she was 14, she could be found in commercials such as Barbie, K-Mart, Pop-Tarts, Old Navy, and Edison, and television shows such as Like Family, Grounded for Life, and Lizzie McGuire. Her first big break came when she replaced a young Christina Milian as the host of the Disney channel's popular series "Movie Surfers".
A diligent student of the arts, Kat began to further her natural acting talents with vocal training, piano lessons and dance classes. The effort soon paid off. At the age of 15 she was chosen by renowned choreographer Fatima to perform at the BET Awards as a background dancer for Bow-Wow. That experience led to other stints as a background dancer for Missy Elliott, Pharell and choreographers Hi Hat and Michael Rooney.
In addition to being a professional actress and dancer, Kat also began to pursue a career as a musical artist. One of the first songs she wrote and sung ("Derailed") was featured in a Jean-Claude Van Damn movie. Completing that song inspired her to purchase her own studio equipment and add producer to her list of talents. Although she had no formal production training, she soon mastered the techniques and developed her unique style. "When I first got my equipment I had no one to guide me…I taught myself. I realized there was no other teenage, female producer in the world, so I was forced to look within myself for motivation." she recalls.
A year later she met superstar producer Damon Elliott (Pink, Mya, Destiny's Child) who turned out to be an influential mentor. While the two worked on perfecting Kat's skills as a musician and producer, she continued to work as an actress, starring on television shows "CSI: Las Vegas", "The OC", "Malcolm In The Middle", "Joan of Arcadia", "Strong Medicine", and "Hannah Montana". She even forayed into music videos, appearing in Akon's "Mr. Lonely", 112's "What If", John Legend's "Used to Love U", B2K's "Why I Love You" and Musiq Soulchild's "Buddy".
At 17, Kat was selected by the Coca-Cola Company as part of an international campaign to market their soft drink Fanta. While promoting the campaign as a member of the "Fantanas" (as Capri/Strawberry), Katerina simultaneously completed her degree in recording engineering. The daughter of a Liberian father and Russian Jewish mother, Kat, who speaks four languages, was exposed to different cultures and societies from an early age. She believes this is what has greatly influenced her artistically and personally and fosters her intense motivation to be a success.
"My background is one that is so varied, I've never been one to check for what the next person is doing," she says. "My circumstances and my mind have set me apart and I will never blend in."
Kat is currently staring as Bonnie Bennett on the hit CW tv show "The Vampire Diaries."
'Cold Hearted Snake'